Stop the Overuse of Antibiotics

What if antibiotics stopped working?

We are at risk of entering the post-antibiotic era. Since their introduction, antibiotics have been a staple in protecting the public health. However, their overuse has led to the creation of "superbugs," which cause illnesses that can't be cured. Last year 2 million Americans got antibiotic resistant infections, and 23,000 people died. This is happening partly because 70% of antibiotics are sold to factory farms, where they are used on animals that often aren't even sick. We have to stop the overuse of antibiotics, and protect our life-saving drugs.

In March 2015, we helped convince McDonald’s to stop serving chicken raised on our life-saving medicines. Shortly after, Tyson Foods, a major chicken producer and McDonald's supplier, followed suit. Then, in October, we convinced Subway, with more restaurants than any other chain in the United States, to make a commitment to stop serving any meat raised on antibiotics, starting with chicken by the end of 2016. In April of 2017, KFC announced their commitment to stop serving chicken raised on medically important antibiotics by the end of 2018.

These were huge victories to protect public health, but now, other major chains need to take action. 

Unsurprisingly, the industry is fighting back, trying to confuse consumers with misleading arguments about whether these commitments mean sick animals won't get treatment. But we know that's not true, and not the problem here. The problem is that farms are giving antibiotics to animals in their daily feed as a preventative measure — not just to treat sick animals. That's why our call is for meat raised without the routine use of antibiotics.

With thousands of Americans dying, and millions more getting sick from antibiotic-resistant infections every year, it's time for more chains to follow the lead of Subway, McDonald's, and many others.

If we don’t take decisive action soon, we could face a world in which life-saving antibiotics no longer work. This is why we need your help today. 

Campaign Updates

Media Hit | Foods

Subsidies Report Reveals Millions Spent On Junk Food, Much Less On Organic Foods

New Jersey Public Interest Research Groups will release a report Wednesday at the Paramus Farmers Market depicting how tax payer monies are supporting federal subsidies for junk food additives while contributing to the childhood obesity epidemic.

> Keep Reading
Media Hit | Foods

Student-Grown Produce at Rutgers Provides Fresh, Organic Option

About one mile from Rutgers University is a plot of farmland that, for some students, is the "Garden of Eden."

> Keep Reading
Media Hit | Foods

CALPIRG Releases Subsidize Junk Food Report

CALPIRG is meeting with Congresswoman Lois Capps tomorrow to talk about the upcoming farm bill discussions and where priorities should be for federal farm subsidies.

> Keep Reading
Media Hit | Foods

OSPIRG works to combat unhealthy food subsidies

“It makes no sense that a box of Twinkies is less expensive than a bag of carrots.”

This statement, found on the website of the Oregon Student Public Interest Research Group, summarizes the main argument against government subsidies to agribusiness firms, and is at the heart of OSPIRG’s recent “Stop Subsidizing Obesity” campaign.

> Keep Reading
Report | Foods

Growing Up Toxic: Chemical Exposures and Increases in Developmental Disease

A growing body of scientific evidence shows that the widespread use of chemicals in our society harms our health and the health of our children. The incidence of many serious health problems – including premature birth, learning disabilities, behavioral disorders, asthma and allergies, early puberty, obesity, diabetes, reduced fertility, and some types of cancer – shows links with exposure to chemicals that can interfere with the process of growth and development.

> Keep Reading

Pages

View AllRSS Feed