This coming semester, Florida PIRG is working to end our reliance on fossil fuels, ditch single-use plastics, end food insecurity, make college more affordable, engage our student bodies in the democratic process and more!
HERE ARE SOME HIGHLIGHTS FROM OUR WORK IN FALL 2021:
- Data showed that youth voter turnout in 2020 increased by 10% compared to 2016.
- 4 Student Governments passed resolutions calling for 100% renewable energy.
- Florida PIRG Students participated in a global brand audit through the Break Free from Plastics coalition. Can you guess which company is the world’s biggest plastics polluter?
- UCF stopped pursuing a dangerous opt-out textbooks policy.
- We started working with students at three new schools: UNF, UWF, and FIU.
- After over a year of organizing virtually, we were able to finally get back on campus and engage with our classmates face to face (safely!).
WE’RE GOING BIG IN 2022! THIS YEAR, WE’RE GOING TO:
- Get our campuses to commit to source 100% renewable energy and phase out single use plastics;
- Pass the Hunger Free Campus Act, a bill that would provide grant funding to universities to use to address food insecurity on campus;
- Get more students on our campuses to vote in the midterms;
- Make textbooks more affordable and protect students’ choice in the textbook purchasing process.
Get involved with us this year and help us make these things happen! Fill out an interest card and an organizer or student leader on your campus will be in touch with upcoming opportunities.
Here’s to a great semester!
Florida PIRG Students
P.S. It’s Coca-Cola. Were you surprised? We weren’t.